The Pittsburgh Steelers will take on AFC North rival Cleveland Browns for second time in a week. However, it will be under very different circumstances.
In Week 17, Pittsburgh rested most of their key players since they already won the AFC North title. The Browns were fighting for a playoff spot which they clinched with a 24-22 win over the Steelers. The trip to the playoffs ends the longest NFL postseason drought. It is the Browns’ first trip to the postseason in 17 seasons.
The Steelers (12-4) will host the Browns (11-5) in a Wild Card game on Sunday night at 8:15 p.m.
Pennsylvania online sportsbooks opened with the Steelers as 4.5-point favorites. However, on Tuesday, the Browns announced that head coach Kevin Stefanski, two members of the coaching staff and two players have tested positive for COVID-19. The line moved to Steelers -6 with the total points line at 47.5.
Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Cleveland Browns Week 17 betting splits
The mostly “second team” Steelers covered the spread as big underdogs.
Betting splits from FanDuel for Steelers vs. Browns as of Sunday morning:
- 63% of the money was on the Steelers (+9.5) to cover the spread
- 79% of the money was on the Browns (-500 ) moneyline
- 58% of the money was on the OVER (44)
At William Hill, bettors were taking the points (Steelers +9), as Pittsburgh was collecting 66% of the total number of tickets and 55% of the total dollars wagered.
Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Cleveland Browns vs. Pittsburgh odds
|Cleveland Browns||+6 (-105)||+225||O 47.5 (-106)|
|Pittsburgh Steelers||-6 (-1051||-275||U 47.5 (-114)|
Pittsburgh Steelers 2020 odds tracker
(Odds via FanDuel Sportsbook)
|Sept. 1, 2020||Oct. 1 (Week 6)||Oct. 20 (Week 7)||Oct. 27 (Week 8)||Nov. 3 (Week 9)||Nov. 10 (Week 10)||Nov. 17 (Week 11)||Nov. 24 (Week 12)||Dec. 3 (Week 13)||Dec. 8. (Week 14)||Dec. 15 (Week 15)||Dec. 22 (Week 16)||Week 17||Wild Card (Jan. 5)|
|AFC North||+340||+220||+150||+120||-320||not listed||-800||-2500||-2000||-3000||-10000||-340||n/a||n/a|
Cleveland Browns vs. Pittsburgh Steelers odds, betting preview
Without a bye due to COVID schedule disruptions, head coach Mike Tomlin rested some starters in Week 17.
The Steelers visited the Browns in Week 6 as three-point favorites. The Black and Yellow dismantled the Browns en route to a 38-7 win. The Browns were without running back Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt was held to 40 yards on 13 carries. It was also Baker Mayfield‘s worst game of the season (119 passing yards, 1 TD, 2 INTS, 54.9 passer rating).
Pittsburgh started out a franchise-best 11-0 led by one of the top defenses in the league and a strong comeback campaign from Ben Roethlisberger. The offense sputtered late in the season and still remains a question mark.
Betting Stats from FanDuel
- Cleveland is averaging 25.5 points per game (PPG) this season (No. 14 in the NFL)
- Cleveland is surrendering 26.2 PPG this season (No. 21 in the NFL)
- Pittsburgh is averaging 26.0 points per game (PPG) this season (No. 12 in the NFL)
- Pittsburgh is surrendering 19.5 PPG this season (No. 3 in the NFL)
Steelers vs. Browns betting stats and info from DraftKings
- The Steelers are 10-6 ATS, and the Browns are 6-10 ATS
- Eight of the Steelers’ 16 games have gone OVER. Nine for the Browns.
- Pittsburgh’s win probability is 71%.
- Pittsburgh has won each of the last 17 home games against the Browns.
- Eight of the Steelers’ last nine night games have gone UNDER the total points line.
- The Browns have failed to cover the spread in each of their last eight games against AFC North opponents.
Week 17 promos at PA sportsbook apps
- New users at FanDuel can get up to a $1,000 free bet. Register, make a deposit, and place a wager on the FanDuel sportsbook app. Then, if the first wager loses, FanDuel will refund losses in the form of a free bet up to $1,000.
BetRivers Free NFL Profit Boost every week:
- Risk-free $500 bet: Place your first bet, and if it loses, the Fox Bet sportsbook app will match it as a free bet up to $500.
- $1 bet pays $50: New users only. $1 bet pays $50 in free bets if the Steelers score.
- Beat the Spread Bonus: $1 bonus for every point your team beats the spread by.
- Pigskin Parlay: Instant 50% cash boost when creating an eight-team parlay.
Complete Wild Card Odds at PA Sportsbooks
Lead image credit: AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar