It’s over. Finally. Mercifully. The Philadelphia Eagles‘ season came to an end after a 20-14 loss to Washington on Sunday night.
It didn’t end with a whimper, though. The Eagles’ injury riddled 2020 campaign which was highlighted by the regression of their $128 million franchise quarterback ended in a fitting, controversial fashion. Sunday morning started with a report from Adam Schefter that Carson Wentz would seek a trade in the offseason and that his relationship with head coach Doug Pederson was “fractured beyond repair.”
By kickoff on Sunday night, Wentz was inactive and the New York Giants needed an Eagles win to clinch a playoff birth. Tweets from the Giants cheering for the Eagles flooded social media but it soon turned bitter when Hurts was benched for Nate Sudfeld. With the loss, the Eagles will have the sixth pick in the draft; a win would have moved them to the nine.
Did the Eagles cover against Washington? It depends what number you got since the Eagles opened as one-point underdogs, but with many starters ruled out, the line took a big swing moving Washington to 5.5 or 6-point favorites.
Here is a look back from a betting perspective on the Philadelphia Eagles 2020 season.
Philadelphia Eagles 2020 betting stats
The Philadelphia Eagles were bad for backers, too.
They finished 6-10 ATS. Only the Dallas Cowboys (5-11) were worse. Four other teams were 6-10 ATS.
The Eagles’ O/U record was 7-9.
Eagles fall short of expectations
The Eagles finished 4-11-1, their worst record since 2012. They failed to make the playoffs for the first time since 2016.
NFL 2020 player awards futures betting recap
(Odds via DraftKings in September)
NFL MVP odds – the favorites:
- Patrick Mahomes: +400
- Lamar Jackson: +700
- Russell Wilson: +800
Philadelphia Eagles NFL MVP Futures:
- Carson Wentz: +2500
- Miles Sanders: +15000
- Zach Ertz: +50000
At the conclusion of the regular season MVP odds at DraftKings:
- Aaron Rodgers: -2000
- Josh Allen: +900
- Patrick Mahomes:+1600
Philadelphia Eagles individual player betting markets
Under bettors for Eagles individual player markets cashed in on the team’s offensive woes.
The only Eagles player to hit a total season “over” was Dallas Goedert total receiving yards (475.5).
The following all went “under.”
Carson Wentz player specials:
- Total passing yards: Over/Under 3900.5
- Passing touchdowns total: Over/Under 27.5
- Total interceptions thrown: Over/Under 9
Zach Ertz player specials:
- Total receiving yards: Over/Under 850.5
- Total receiving touchdowns: Over/Under 6
The Eagles were duds when it came to season leader betting markets, too. However, Carson Wentz (+4000) tied with Broncos quarterback Drew Lock for most interceptions thrown.
Eagles’ 2021 offseason
Finishing last in one of the worst divisions in recent memory will raise a lot of questions for a team three years removed from a Super Bowl.
The Eagles have a lots questions to answer this offseason including:
- Will head coach Doug Pederson return? Recent reports say yes.
- What about general manager Howie Roseman? He passed on Justin Jefferson who broke the rookie receiving record to select Jalen Reagor in the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft. It’s not Howie’s first draft miss.
- Will the Eagles trade Wentz? He agreed to a four-year, $128 million contract in June 2019. There are cap implications if the Birds trade or release him. But “fractured beyond repair” doesn’t bode well for this marriage.
- Adding depth to an aging offensive line.
- The Eagles D only had eight interceptions, fourth worst in the league. How will they shore up their secondary?
Lead image credit: AP Photo/Chris Szagola