Vegas News December 27, 2020
Another week of casino openings and closings in Las Vegas. Let’s start the week with an opening before we get to the “Mirage Closing” news. RIO All-Suite Las Vegas Hotel and Casino is now open. The hotel is only taking weekend reservations for the time being. The casino and some amenities will be open seven days a week. You can see specifics here.
Mirage Closing EVERYTHING – January 4th
The Linq, Mandalay Bay, Park MGM, Planet Hollywood, and The Mirage are on a similar schedule as Rio. The latter will change hours next year. Starting January 4th, The Mirage will close everything. The casino, hotel, bars, restaurants, etc., will all be closed. According to the Las Vegas Sun, MGM Resorts doesn’t expect this to last beyond February. Also, to be clear, this entire closure at Mirage will be from noon Mondays until noon Thursdays.
The hotel and restaurants at Encore are closed during weekdays. The hotel at The Palazzo is closed temporarily. The restaurants are still open if you’re still craving a plate of meat from Majordomo at The Palazzo.
Recent Caesars Rewards Loyalty Program
Casino Loyalty ‘Scoop
[Some Surprises?] CAESARS REWARDS Extending Tier Status For MOST
Eldorado and Caesars Status Matching – mostly done right, worth it?
Las Vegas Quick Hits
Keeping track of casino openings and closings in Las Vegas isn’t fun, but the information is useful. It is also distressing to see Mirage Closing the entire resort midweek. I’m hoping the Cosmopolitan stays open in January. I have my first room reservation at my favorite casino on the Vegas Strip in years.
I’ll be wining and dining on the terrace at night while working inside the room during the day. I might eat at a restaurant if it means FREE WINE. There may actually be some gambling if the casino is as quiet as I’m expecting. I can’t wait!
On to the rest of the Vegas News!
- The Legacy Club at Circa is taking reservations. The pictures are beautiful. I can’t wait to check it out next year. You can see more pics here and the press release here.
- Wynn Rewards is finally live in Las Vegas. You can read the press release without much information here. The Wynn Rewards page on the Wynn Las Vegas website actually has useful information.
- M life Rewards Points and comps expiration has been extended until March 31, 2021. See the tweet here.
- Virgin is sneaky. They haven’t announced an opening date but the header on the website leads me to believe that they’re targeting April.
- The Fremont Street Experience will be open on New Year’s Eve and accessible for a $25 “security fee.” Anyone staying at an FSE hotel will receive a wristband and can enter for free. There won’t be any entertainment so you’re essentially paying a cover charge to wander the mall of casinos. Visitors must wear a mask and have to keep a safe distance. You can reserve space and find more info here.
- Kevin hit the largest Megabucks jackpot since 2008 on Christmas Eve at the Suncoast. You can read about it here.
- Sharing is caring. I’m far from a vegan but I know a few people that are. You can find some info on the Vegan Vegas here.
- Speaking of not being Vegan, a new steakhouse is opening at The Park. Nusret Gökçe aka Salt Bae is spending $4.5 million on the steakhouse. I’m not familiar with his food but the guys in the video in this article at Eater are having a great time at his spot. I like steak and fun.
- Uh oh. There’s a problem with the roller coaster at New York-New York. At least they caught the problem during testing. Read more here.
- The NHL season will start on Jan. 13. Read more about the next season for the Vegas Golden Knights here.
- It shouldn’t be a surprise that the first show that should reopen in Las Vegas is the most popular. Word is “O” at Bellagio will be the first show to return to Las Vegas stages next year. Read more here.
- Great news from JSX. The semi-private airline will continue to fly into John Wayne Airport in CA. The company is also moving its Las Vegas location. Also, see: Flying to/from Las Vegas on Semi-Private Airline JSX Lives Up To The Hype.
- Ever want to go to a restaurant that serves hot dogs and doughnuts? You’ll be in luck soon, Mochinut is opening next year in Chinatown. Read more here.
- The first cannabis speakeasy is open at ReLeaf just off the Vegas Strip. This is the first place where you’ll be able to buy and smoke inside the same building. You can read about it here and find more info here.
- Sugar Factory is replacing Twin Peaks at Harmon Corner next to Planet Hollywood. Read more here.
- CBS News has a 30-minute story about Las Vegas dealing with coronavirus. You can watch “Reverb: Losing Las Vegas” here.
- It looks like the possibility of a new casino from the Marnell family in Henderson is progressing. Read more here.
- The Big West Conference is moving its Men’s and Women’s basketball tournaments to Mandalay Bay. Read more here.
- X burlesque will return to the Flamingo Las Vegas starting Jan. 7. Read more here.
Also, be sure to join the ZorkCast Group on FaceBook. This is the Facebook group to continue the conversation from the ZorkCast podcast and TravelZork website. Feel free to start a conversation related to anything TravelZork or ZorkCast.
Want direct access to casino news, casino reviews, narratives, loyalty programs, and video poker? Visit our casino/Vegas section directly at CasinoZork. Join the thousands of people who read TravelZork every month! Sign up here for one email per week updates. (Email is sent weekly on Monday and now includes EXCLUSIVE tips and commentary!)