Almost every video poker player I know falls into the same pattern. They find a game they like and they sit down and hope they hit a royal flush. If they play long enough they eventually hit one, but it costs them too much money along the way.
You Have to Be a Picky and Patient Gambler
If you want to get better results playing video poker than most gamblers get you need to do things differently. And this starts with being picky and being patient.
This means that you can’t play on any video poker machine that you see. You have to be patient and refuse to play until you find a machine with the right paytable. This is not how most video poker players operate.
They might look for a good machine for a little bit, but they get impatient and just accept the best paytable they can find. This is what the casinos want you to do because the casino makes more money when you play on a video poker machine that doesn’t have a good paytable.
The second thing that can help is to make a list of the location of every good paytable you find. This helps you find good video poker machines in the future.
Using Your Gut or Proven Casino Math
You need to stop doing what other video poker players do and start using video poker strategy. You can learn how to play every video poker hand for any machine by using a strategy chart designed for the game.
Old Video Poker Games
Casinos operate based on how much money they make, and most casinos track how much they make per square foot on the casino floor. When they introduce new games of any type it’s in hopes of increasing their profits.
In addition to this, the best video poker games tend to be the ones that have been around a long time. Jacks or Better was the original video poker game and it’s still one of the best games you can play. Deuces Wild video poker has been around forever, and it’s also one of the best variations you can play.
When you find a new video poker game variation, do your research about the return numbers, best pay tables, and the best strategy before you play, or you risk playing a game that’s not as good as some of the older machines.
Taking It All
You can use a few different strategies to help offset your losses. You can use one of these strategies or a combination.
- Comps schemes – A comps scheme is a club that casinos run that tracks how much you play video poker and gives you rewards for your play. The rewards vary based on where you play and how much you play, but comps are basically free things that you get for playing video poker.
- Bonuses – Casino Bonuses are something you can get when you play mobile or online video poker. You make a deposit and receive a bonus that you can play with just like cash. Video poker bonuses help your bankroll, but they rarely help you win in the long run.
- Promotions – Special promotions can include entries to special tournaments or drawings or free play. Ask the player’s club about promotions every time you play video poker.
- Coupons – Coupons come in all shapes and sizes. Some of them give you free bets and some give you entry into special games or tournaments. Look for coupons in gaming publications and at the casino.
- Free stuff – Anything that you can get from the casinos for free that hasn’t been covered fits in this category. It can be free drinks, free hats, free shirts, or anything else. If the casino is offering something for free, take it even if it’s not something you want.
With the right combination, you might be able to offset your losses enough to effectively break even. This is more difficult than it sounds, but you need to get everything that you can to offset your losses, no matter how small the losses are.
The Only Good Option Is Online or Mobile Video Poker
When you take everything you’ve learned so far in this article into account, the best option for most video poker players is to play either online or in a mobile casino. Online and mobile casinos are basically the same when it comes to video poker play.
In the long run, you’re probably not going to beat video poker games no matter what you do, but online and mobile video poker offer the best odds and options to let you play with a high rate of return.
If you want to maximize your returns playing video poker you have to learn to be picky and you have to be patient. And you have to start using the proven math behind strategy charts instead of relying on your gut to play hands.
Everybody likes to check out new games when they come out, but older video poker machines are usually the safest bet. Even when you play the best video poker you can, the casino still holds a small advantage. This is why you need to take everything you can get.
In the end there’s a clear choice for video poker players.